Evening With An Author_Héctor Tobar
From $40 usd
+ available add-ons
Tue, Feb 13, 2024, 5:00 – 7:00 PM PST
Susi Q Presents An Evening With an Author
Featuring Novelist Héctor Tobar
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and novelist Héctor Tobar will be featured in conversation with well known arts columnist and podcaster Marrie Stone at the debut of the Susi Q’s 2024 “Evening With an Author” series.
Tobar is the author of 6 books, including the NYT bestseller, Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine and the Miracle That Set Them Free. In his recent critically acclaimed book, Our Migrant Souls, Guatemalan-born Tobar discusses what it means to be “Latino" in the United States right now. Come enjoy refreshments and wine in the company of fellow book lovers. Attendees will all receive a complimentary copy of Our Migrant Souls.
Doors open at 4:30 p.m.
About Héctor Tobar
Héctor is a Professor of English and Chicano/Latino Studies at the University of California, Irvine. He's written for The New Yorker, The New York Times Magazine, Harpers, National Geographic, and was a contributing writer for the New York Times opinion pages. Héctor has also been also a columnist for the Los Angeles Times and its bureau chief in Buenos Aires and Mexico City
In a starred review, Bookpage calls Our Migrant Souls "one of the most important pieces of Latino nonfiction in several decades. Turning the last page, you will feel the weight of history on your shoulders." The New York Times calls Our Migrant Souls, "a resonant and deeply affecting book," And Publisher's Weekly (starred review) calls it "lyrical and uncompromising."
HTERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Your well-being is our primary concern. We ask and expect you to be able to participate safely in our activities, classes and programs you have chosen. By registering, you are certifying that you understand and accept our terms and conditions.
- Registration is required before participation in any class or activity.
- By registering, you agree to release Laguna Beach Seniors, Inc. and its representatives from all possible liability that may arise from your participation, except for claims of gross negligence or wanton misconduct.
- By registering for a class at the Susi Q, you agree to observe all Covid-19 safety measures that are in place at the time of your participation. You accept, however, that these protocols cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to Covid-19 at the center. To further minimize this risk, you agree that you will not participate in any activity at the center if you are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms, and that you will immediately leave the premises if you experience symptoms during a class or activity.
- Late registration is permitted as long as a class series is active on our registration page.
- Payment for any class fees is due upon registration.
- Limited Refund Policy: If a fee class is cancelled, you will automatically receive a full refund. There are no refunds if you miss a class or drop out. In case of error, forward your class registration by email to the Registrar with an explanation. All refunds are at the discretion of the Registrar and involve a service charge, except when a class is cancelled or in cases of financial hardship.
- Code of conduct: A successful in person or Zoom class requires the good will of all involved. Instructors, at their sole discretion, can expel or mute any participant who they deem is disruptive to the class.